Affecting up to 20% percent of the population, sleep disorders are common and often go un-diagnosed for years.
- Did you know that sleep disorders, especially obstructive sleep apnea, can lead to increased risk of metabolic problems such as insulin resistance which in turn leads to weight gain?
- Did you also know that weight gain in turn leads to increased risk of sleep apnea thus completing a vicious cycle of sleep problems leading to weight gain, and weight gain leading to sleep problems?
Realizing the bidirectional relationship between sleep disorders and obesity, W8MD medical weight loss centers of America addresses both sleep disorders and obesity together so you can attempt to break this vicious cycle. Let us look at one of the most common sleep problems – sleep apnea and how W8MD medical weight loss centers can help!
So, what is sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea is a common sleep disorder where there are pauses in breathing that last 10 seconds or more and occur repeatedly throughout the night.
Sleep apnea usually is a chronic condition that disrupts your sleep leading to non-refreshing sleep, increased fatigue, daytime sleepiness, increased risk of a range of medical problems including high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, stroke, mood disorders and weight gain.
Sleep apnea often goes undiagnosed and most people who have sleep apnea don’t know they have it because it only occurs during sleep. A family member or bed partner might be the first to notice signs of sleep apnea and the most common type of sleep apnea is obstructive sleep apnea.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Central Sleep Apnea
- Restless Legs Syndrome
- Circadian Rhythm Disorders
- Sleep Walking
- REM Sleep Behavior Disorder
- Periodic Limb Movements of Sleep
- Pediatric Sleep Disorders
- Delayed sleep phase syndrome
- Night eating
Assessments & Treatments of sleep disorders
- Polysomnography with Full EEG
- Home Sleep Testing
- Multiple Sleep Latency Testing
- Maintenance of Wakefulness Testing
- CPAP and BPAP
- Adaptive Servo-Ventilation
- Average Volume Assured Pressure Support
- Bright Light Therapy
- Durable Medical Equipment (CPAP, Auto-PAP, BPAP)
Sleep medicine reviews
Dr. Tumpati is an excellent doctor. He diagnosed and has treated my sleep apnea and the we began on a weight loss regime. He is knowledgeable in areas of nutrition and has been enabling me to lose when I had not been able to do so. I recommend him highly. – Verified patient on Zocdoc
My appt with Dr Tumpati was great he asked me questions about the problems that I’ve been having and after I answered him we discussed it. He was very professional but very down to earth as well. I will definitely be seeing him in the future. And his secratery/nurse Laura has been excellent as well there was a problem getting a medication filled it had to be pre authorized and she made many phone calls to make sure that I was able to get the medication filled!!! So my overall experience at this office was excellent!!!!
Talk about a doctor who cares about his clients.talk about a environment that you can feel comfortable yet professional at tge same time. Talk about a doctor who is down to earth and brilliant. You would be talking about Dr.Prab R. Tumpati. Staff is nice and location is easy. I highly recommend.
December 3, 2013 by a Verified Patient
Dr. Tumpati and staff were very courteous. The doctor took time to explain my condition, the methods to treat it, and his recommendation for treatment in my particular case. I was not rushed in and out in 5 minutes as with many other doctors. I would recommend Dr. Tumpati to others.
There are no reviews yet.